A while back I saw the Galaxy tee on Instagram when Lori from @girlsinthegarden.sews made a pretty floral version. It took me almost a year but I finally printed the pattern (which is free, by the way) and sewed my first version. I decided to lengthen it into a dress and you can read all about the details here on my Minerva page.
The Galaxy tee is available from Pattern Scissors Cloth. It is available up to a 48 3/4″ bust and 52″ hip. I just love the fun puffed sleeves! I couldn’t resist making a second one pretty much right after I finished my dress. I had some French terry left over from my Jarrah sweatshirt and Carolyn shorts and it turned out to be just the right amount to make a sweatshirt version of this pattern.
It took merging 3 patterns to get the fit I was after. I knew I wanted it to be high-hip length with a slight amount of blousing over the bottom band. I started out combining the Galaxy tee with the Hey June Sheridan sweater, but I didn’t have enough ribbing to cut the neckband, sleeve bands, and hem band if I used the bottom band from the Sheridan sweatshirt. After I thought about it for a while I pulled out my Chalk + Notch Page Hoodie since the bands aren’t quite as tall.
I ended up using the Galaxy tee for the shoulders to under arm, the Sheridan sweater for the under arms down the sides, and the Page hoodie for the slightly curved hemline and bottom bands. I didn’t trace this new, hacked pattern, I just layered pattern over pattern. Now I regret that I didn’t trace it because I absolutely want to make another one right away!
This went together really easily, with the exception of the bands being too long because I used ribbing instead of self fabric. There is more stretch in the ribbing and I ended up having to play around with the sleeve and hem bands to get them to fit. I definitely should have tried them on before I attached them to the sweatshirt and saved myself a fair bit of unpicking! I (probably) won’t make that mistake again.
The french terry is soft and cozy– perfect for Fall! I’m so happy with how this turned out!