Hello! It’s time for my monthly blog post, haha! Today I’m sharing my Fairmount Shacket, the newest pattern from Hey June. I have been loving the oversized flannel shirt/jackets that are so on-trend at the moment. A few months ago I made a flannel Kalle shirt in an attempt to make a shacket before the Fairmount pattern was released. Did I show it to you? It’s here on my Minerva profile if you’re interested.
I love how that shirt turned out and I was very excited to see the Fairmount pattern when it was released. I am a big fan of Hey June patterns so it was a no-brainer to make this one right away. (Full disclosure, Adrianna gifted me the pattern but I would totally have paid for it with my own money.)
My Kalle shacket is made from a Robert Kaufman mammoth plaid and that is what I used for this one, too. I ordered this fabric from Amazon and I chose this particular plaid because it was on sale. I really wanted to get a plaid with some rust tones in it, but since this was technically my test run of the pattern I went with the most economical fabric. I have made so many Hey June patterns that I know my sizing and my normal adjustments and I wasn’t scared to just dive right in without a muslin.
I really love the Kaufman mammoth plaids. They are so warm and snuggly! They also wash really well and I haven’t noticed any pilling with repeated washings and wearings. I definitely need to make myself some flannel pajama pants from a mammoth plaid sometime this winter.
As I expected, the Fairmount Shacket pattern is fabulous! I love the flap pockets, dropped shoulders, and oversized fit. I think that I’d sewn a convertible collar once before on a men’s shirt, but I’m not totally sure. The instructions were great and there is also a very helpful post on the Hey June website that demonstrates how to sew the collar. I referenced that and it was smooth sailing. I also used my favorite thread pull trick to get super-sharp points on the collar. Probably no one else in the entire world will notice that detail, but I will take note each time I wear this! The flannel is fairly thick so I wasn’t expecting it to work as well as it did.
When I was pretty close to finishing my shacket I decided to add welt pockets to it, inspired by Loni. If she hadn’t mentioned it on Instagram I don’t think I would have come up with the idea on my own. It was one of those things that I wanted to do but also didn’t want to actually have to do the sewing required. I talked myself into it because I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t take the time to sew them.
I used the welt pocket pattern pieces from the Wheaton Windbreaker, also by Hey June. I wasn’t totally sure where to position them and ended up making my best guess. I wanted them to be anchored in the front plackets and in the hem. It turned out that I placed them a little bit too far from the center to anchor them into the front plackets, but they are sewn into the hem. They don’t flap around when I wear the shacket so it’s not an issue that they aren’t sewn into the placket topstitching. Next time (and there will be a next time, I’m sure!) I’ll enlarge the pocket bags a bit. I can always trim them back if they are too large but it’s hard to make them bigger once they are cut and the welt is sewn!
I sewed a size 10 graded to a 12 with a 1/2″ forward shoulder adjustment. The only thing I’d change for next time is to lengthen the sleeves by an inch. My hands are always cold and I love to pull my shirts down over them. For now, I’ll just constantly stuff my hands in my welt pockets.
My shacket is everything I hoped it would be! It’s great paired with a t-shirt or worn over a sweatshirt. I know this will be my preferred layer for cozying up on the couch in the winter and for wearing as a jacket before it gets too cold here. I’m going to be on the lookout for a rust-colored plaid (or maybe even a solid) to make another one soon.
Thanks for reading!