I suppose I should start off by saying that I am totally aware that you can barely even see the blazer in these photos. Black ponte is awesome for a very wearable garment but not so awesome for blog photos! I did my best to lighten up the photos but the details are all pretty much lost. I guess that means I need to make another one soon for better photo potential?!
As I said, I used black ponte for my Evans. Specifically, it’s Robert Kaufman Arietta ponte, which is really good stuff. I found mine in an Etsy shop called Crosscut Sewing and it was on sale when I bought it. (Here is the link— it’s still on sale at the time I’m writing this and they have a heather gray that is also on sale.)
This ponte is a really nice, heavy weight. It was perfect for this blazer and I’d say it would be perfect for just about anything. It’s mostly rayon, which gives it a great handfeel and drape. I’m trying not to buy more fabric at the moment, but I’m sitting here wondering how I can justify buying some of that heather gray, haha.
My one word of caution with rayon ponte is that it shrinks pretty substantially. I’d recommend buying 1/2 yard more than you need if you plan to put it in the dryer. I always put my fabric in the dryer, at least when I’m prewashing, in case it ends up in the dryer later. In my house it always does! (And I have no one to blame but myself since I am the CEO of laundry in the Dodds household.)
The Evans blazer was a fun sew. I love that it has classic blazer details, like welt pockets and a two piece sleeve, but it’s designed for knits so it sews up much quicker than a traditional, tailored blazer would.
My measurements put me in a size 12 high bust graded to a 16 at the hip. My only adjustments were to do a 1/2″ forward shoulder adjustment and to do a full biceps adjustment. The sleeves are cut slim on this jacket and my arms are not. I needed to widen the sleeve by 1.5″ to be able to layer under it comfortably.
Doing a full biceps adjustment on a two piece sleeve isn’t as complicated as you might imagine. The adjustment is done only to the top sleeve. If you need a tutorial, here is an excellent one from Helen’s Closet. It’s great that she included what to do if your adjustment is more than 1″, since the sleeve cap gets pretty flattened in that case.
I ended up having to topstitch the top of my welt pockets since the ponte wanted to flop over inside the blazer. This isn’t called for in the instructions, but it helps my pockets look nicer in the knit fabric.
The only issue I have with this blazer is that some of my knit interfacing has come unstuck from the roll line of the collar. One piece has come off completely and the other side is getting loose. I need to look into some other option to give the roll line some structure, maybe knit hem tape? I’m going to have to go back to the instructions and see what else is recommended or maybe just try a different kind of knit fusible interfacing.
Aside from that minor issue, I totally love how my blazer turned out! I’m wearing it here with my favorite Union St tee and Free Range Slacks. I told my husband this was my version of a power suit. I feel like this outfit has a little bit of an 80s feel and I’m OK with that.
My friend Heidi, who was also a tester for this pattern, and I have started doing some styling videos on Instagram and we picked this pattern for our second video. If you aren’t on Instagram and are interested in seeing 6 ways I’ll be wearing my Evans Blazer, you can watch my video here.
Thanks for reading!