Sewing

Sew Bibs //Roberts Collection Dungarees

Hi friends! I can hardly believe it but this is the last week of #sewbibs! The challenge ends this Friday, April 12. We still have sponsors offering discounts through the end of the challenge and there’s still time to whip up a pinafore or a pair of bibs if you’re want to throw your name into the hat for our amazing participation prizes!

When Meg, Heidi, Jessamy, and I were planning the challenge in February, I decided to get ahead and sew one of my projects. I picked the Roberts collection dungarees from Marilla Walker.

My friend Heather made a few versions of this pattern last year and I loved them so much. Seeing how cute she looked in them was what motivated me to buy the pattern.

After I bought the pattern I made the Roberts dungaree dress and it’s one of my favorite things to wear. The design is so cute and it’s was a fun pattern to sew. I had been wanting to make the dungarees since I sewed the dress but they kept getting pushed down my sewing queue.

Now that I’ve made them I am kicking myself for pushing them off for so long. They have quickly become one of my favorite things to wear! They are very comfortable!

This pattern has some really nice details– I love the flat felled seams in the center front and back. The way the straps come off the back bib is totally cute! I also really like the snaps at the hip and the straps. They make getting these on and off a total breeze.

I made my bibs from a viscose/linen noil from Blackbird Fabrics. (They are sold out of navy but have this cool denim color and a few others in stock right now.)

The fabric is lightweight and has great drape. I’m really happy with how it worked for these dungarees. The drape is perfect for the amount of ease in this pattern.

The Roberts dungarees are designed to have a dropped waist/crotch, but I didn’t want the crotch to be very low on mine. I made a couple of easy changes to the pattern to get the fit I wanted.

I took 5/8″ off the top of the bib to move the waist point up and also reduced the crotch depth by 5/8″. These two changes moved the crotch up 1 1/4″ from the way the pattern is drafted. I made the same changes to the back piece, too.

I cut my pattern at a size 3 at the top of the bib, graded to a 4 at the waist, graded to a 5 at the hips. I tapered the legs back down to a size 4 from the knee to the hem. (My measurements are bust 37.5″, waist 32″, hips 44″.)

Looking at these pictures, I think if I were to make these again (which I may have to once these become threadbare from constant wear) I might add some back pockets. It looks a little empty back there without pockets.

These dungarees have been in heavy rotation since I made them. They are great with long sleeved tees and I know I’ll be wearing them with short sleeves and tanks during the Summer. I’m so glad this challenge motivated me to get these made!

~Teri

 

 

6 thoughts on “Sew Bibs //Roberts Collection Dungarees

  1. I feel like I’m spamming every pair of bibs you post, but DANG they’re all just so wonderful! I just want exactly these. I’ve only made the Roberts jumpsuit so far, I’ve really got to try this pattern from the collection.

    Like

    1. Awww, thank you very much! I love my Roberts dungarees so much that I think I should try the jumpsuit soon. I think I’d like wearing it as much as my jumper and the overalls.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s