One of my sewing goals this year was to try to buy less fabric and sew up some of the fabric that has been waiting patiently in my stash for its day in the sun. I am suuuuuper excited that I finally got this incredibly fun ice cream cone fabric made into Carolyn pajamas!
The fabric is from Dana Willard’s first fabric collection with Art Gallery fabrics, which was called Boardwalk Delight. I am pretty sure that the fabric collection was released two years ago. Dana approached me and asked me to sew a shirt for her quilt market booth just around the time that the fabric collection was being released. I sewed the shirt and as a thank you Dana sent me some yardage of this I Scream, You Scream fabric.
I knew right away that I was going to use it for Carolyn Pajamas but they kept getting pushed to the back burner or it was the wrong season for short sleeves and shorts. I knew I didn’t want to let another summer go by without making these so I made sure I added them to my sewing list for May. (I use this free sewing calendar from Sew DIY to plan my sewing each month. I don’t always stick to my plans 100% but it’s been really useful for me to figure out my sewing project priorities. It’s helped me a lot to get some of these long planned projects actually made!)
This was my first time making the Carolyn pajamas using piping accents. I have a piping foot for my sewing machine which made it really easy to attach. I was a little concerned about getting the piping matched up nicely on the collar but I followed the instructions and had no problems. I think the white piping is so cute on this minty fabric.
Do any of you remember Daiquiri Ice from Baskin Robbins back in the late 70s, early 80s? This fabric is the exact color of that ice cream (or sorbet or whatever it was.) This fabric takes me back to my childhood thinking about family trips to Baskin Robbins when I’d get bubble gum ice cream and pile up all the ice cream pieces to chew at the end after my pink ice cream was gone.
I love how these jammies turned out! I am especially proud that I managed to pattern match the two piece breast pocket. My only real regret is that I should have done a full biceps adjustment on the arms. I made a size 10 graded to a 14 in the top but my arms needed more room than the size 10 sleeves, I guess. They fit ok, but for maximum comfort next time I will probably give myself an extra inch.
I had to throw in these last two photos with Caroline. She got this narwhal balloon this morning and I thought it would be fun to use it as a photo shoot prop. I should have known that she wouldn’t want to be left out of the picture! It’s a really humid day and her curls are extra springy. I hope her hair stays like this forever! I am seriously considering ordering a little more of this fabric so I can make her some pjs with it, too. It would be so fun to match with her.
I hope you’re having a great Summer so far! Be back soon with more of my Summer sewing.