You guys, I made my first jumpsuit! (Well, technically, I’m pretty sure I made one of those really baggy Laura Ashley jumpsuits with a Peter Pan collar back in the 90s. But it’s probably best to forget about that one…) This one is the newest pattern from True Bias and it’s one of the 6 patterns I tested in quick succession a few weeks ago.
The Yari jumpsuit has a v-neckline, princess seaming, two options for length, and a sleeveless or cut on sleeve option. There is also an option to add side ties that fasten with a d-ring to accentuate the waist line. The pattern features some really cool angled pockets that are worked into the leg seams and a button front.
I chose to make the shorts version with the cut on sleeves and added side ties. I made a quick muslin to determine size and whether I would need to lengthen the jumpsuit at all. For my muslin, I made my usual True Bias size 10 graded to a 16. I found that there was enough ease that I took out some of the width I’d added below the waist and ended up making the 10 graded to 14.
The shorts were a little short for me (I am 5’7.5″ tall and True Bias patterns are drafted for someone who is 5’5″) so I added an inch to the length. I also added an inch to the pocket length. For the shorts version of Yari the bottom of the pocket meets the hem of the jumpsuit and gets closed when the hem is sewn. I also decided to raise the v-neck by an inch, so I also had to adjust the neckline facings.
My jumpsuit is made from a Robert Kaufman chambray that I’ve had in my stash for at least a few years. I bought it with plans to make the Hey June Sanibel romper, but I never managed to get that made. I’m happy that it finally became some sort of romper! It’s a nice light weight and is going to be great to wear this Summer.
I’m super happy with how my jumpsuit turned out! I did manage to make a dumb mistake when I was sewing the panels together in the front and back. Did I tell you I got a new sewing machine a few weeks ago? This was the first thing that I worked on when I got the machine out of the box. I was so excited to use it that I forgot to pay attention to the seam allowances. I sewed the panels together with a 5/8″ SA instead of the 1/2″ it was supposed to be. I didn’t realize what I’d done until after I’d topstitched everything. My navy thread blends in so well that I knew if I tried to unpick I would probably snag the fabric so I left those at the wrong SA. I sewed the side seams at 3/8″ to try to get a little bit of the ease back. Thankfully it fits fine but when I make another I will be sure to sew with the right seam allowances!
My new machine has the coolest buttonhole foot/attachment. You can put the button in the back of the foot and the machine determines what size to make the buttonholes. My old machine was super erratic with buttonholes and they were never a consistent size. I was thrilled with how well these buttonholes came out!
The details on this pattern are just so fun! I had a really fun time sewing it and now that our hot, Summer weather is here I know I’m going to have fun wearing it! I really love the full length jumpsuit, too, and I want to make the sleeveless version soon. I’m glad I finally got on board with the jumpsuit trend– True Bias patterns always push me just slightly out of my fashion comfort zone and make me wonder why I was nervous about trying the trend in the first place.
Thanks for reading!