Hello! I recently made my first (of what will probably be many!) Grainline Studio Hadley top and I’m excited to show it off! I have to admit that I wasn’t sure the Hadley was for me when the pattern was released. It took me a little while to warm up to this pattern but eventually I fell in love.
Sometimes it takes seeing a pattern on a few different people or sewn up in a few different fabrics before a pattern really speaks to me. I loved this version from Jess of La Mercerie and then every single one that was made for Hadley week on the Imagine Gnats blog.
This fabric is the very first piece of Nani Iro double gauze I ever bought. (The first of only two! Now that I’ve used them both maybe it’s time to buy more.) I ordered it 3 years ago when I was at the tail end of my pregnancy with Caroline. I had plans to make it into a Gallery Tunic but that never happened. It seemed like the perfect fabric to use for a casual Hadley top. I made a muslin before I cut into my precious fabric and I’m glad I did.
I was concerned about the sleeves being too slim for me and I know the darts are usually too low for me on Grainline patterns. After my first muslin, I cut new sleeves with a 1″ full biceps adjustment. The fit was good, but I had a bunch of weird drag lines on my sleeves that concerned me. I tried a few different things to improve the fit of the sleeves but nothing seemed to make any difference. Eventually, I ran out of muslin and I gave up.
Throwing caution to the wind, I decided to just cut into the double gauze and hope for the best with the sleeves. I figured that worst-case scenario, I could leave off the sleeves and make the sleeveless version. I basted them on and magically the fit was fine in my real fabric. I was sooooo happy when I tried in on and all those lines were gone. I guess it was just the stiffness of the muslin throwing off the fit.
I made my usual Grainline size 10 graded to a 14. I did the 1″ full biceps adjustment, raised the darts by 5/8″, and I cut both the front and back pieces on the fold. If I had been using a solid color fabric I would have added the center front and center back seams but I didn’t want to break up the print (or use the extra fabric to match up the print at those seams.) The top slips on easily over my head so I didn’t need the closure at the back neck. I also sewed down the neck facing. I knew the facing would drive me crazy if I left it free.
The fit of this top is so nice. I love the a-line shape, the slight high/low hem, and the bracelet length sleeves. Oh, I had to remove 2.5″ of length from the sleeves to get them to this bracelet length. The sleeves were definitely full length on me in my first muslin! I am eager to make the view with the pleat in the back– I love that extra little bit of drama. I have a rayon crepe that I think will be perfect for that view.
This is a great top for wearing with jeans but would also look great with trousers or a pencil skirt. I find it to be as comfortable as wearing a t-shirt but looks a little more dressed up. My fabric has a bit of metallic silver in the print, which I just love. I’m so glad I had it waiting in my stash for this pattern to come along!