The night that I finished my navy Kelly Anorak, I was scrolling through my Instagram feed and I came across this picture from Kendi Everyday. The minute I saw that quilted jacket I was overcome with the idea of making something similar. Like, so overcome that I could barely sleep that night from thinking about it.
The jacket that Kendi is wearing is from JCrew and when I went to their website I found a non-quilted version. It’s called the Downtown Field jacket and it has so many similarities to the Kelly Anorak pattern. I happened to have some olive green twill fabric from Joann in my stash that I thought would be perfect for a pattern hack. The fabric I used is pretty light weight– my guess is that maybe it’s about 7 or 8 oz per sq yard.
Since I already had the fabric, the pattern hadn’t even been put away, and the construction was fresh in my mind, I easily convinced myself that it wasn’t the craziest thing in the world to make another jacket right away. I knew right away that I wasn’t going to use topstitching thread on this one after the struggles I went though topstitching my navy jacket. My instagram sewing buddy Melissa suggested that I use two strands of regular thread for the topstitching, which worked out really well. The topstitching is more visible than if I’d just used one strand of thread and my machine was happier with that solution.
I made a few modifications to the pattern and added some bells and whistles that the JCrew jacket has. First I shortened the jacket by 3.5″ and I removed the pleat from the back yoke. I used View B of the Kelly Anorak pattern, which has a stand collar and no hood. I wanted pockets with a top flap, but I didn’t want to lose the giant Kelly pockets. I modified the pocket pattern piece to remove the diagonal opening and kept the bellows style pocket. I added a top flap like the JCrew jacket.
I also added upper pockets, which I wasn’t sure was going to work because the yoke on the Kelly is lower than my inspiration jacket. I positioned the top flap just above the yoke and I think it ended up looking fine to have the flap span the yoke. I included big elbow patches and adjustable back tabs which were taken right from the Field jacket, too.
I sourced all of the hardware for this one on my own, since I needed a shorter zipper than what comes in the Closet Case hardware kits and I didn’t need the drawstring/cord locks/eyelets. I found a source on ebay for the spring snaps. They are not as heavy duty as the ones in the hardware kit, but they are doing just fine so far. I was totally stumped about where to find a zipper with a left side pull– it seems like all the zips have pulls on the right. I contacted ZipperStop on Etsy and they custom made a left pull zipper in the length I needed. Hooray!
Compared with my struggles sewing my first jacket this one was a breeze to sew! I had to do some unpicking but nothing like my first go-round. It was a little bit of a challenge to get the elbow patches in the right spot since I had to position them before sewing the seam on the underside of the sleeve. I basted one of the sleeves together and then basted it into the armscye to check the position. I’m glad I did that because my first try was much too low. (Of course I had done double rows of topstitching on both elbow patches before I checked the position. Why, Teri, why?)
This was one of those projects where I got more excited the further into construction I went. Once I started adding those shiny gold snaps down the front I was giddy with how great it was looking. I think this looks really similar to the JCrew jacket and it’s such a thrill to have made my own version that fits me like a glove. I’ve been calling this the TDodds Suburban Yard Jacket since that describes my life more than a Downtown Field. Ha!
And just for kicks I added up how much my jacket cost to make compared to the JCrew jacket. Now that I’m writing this blog post I can’t find the paper with my exact cost, but it was somewhere in the realm of $50 for the fabric, thread, snaps, interfacing, zipper, and pattern (I cut the pattern cost in half since I’ve now used the pattern twice and I got my fabric with a 50% off coupon from Joann.) It’s about 1/3 of the cost of the JCrew version so not only did I save money but my sewing satisfaction level is off the charts!
Sadly, it’s mostly gotten too cold to wear this jacket in my suburban yard, but I know it will be my constant companion next Spring. And really, I’ll probably wear it around the house until it’s warm enough to wear outside again. I love it too much for it to go unworn for the next 5 months!
Thanks for reading!