Hi there! Today I’m here to show off my Kalle Shirtdress, made in the tunic length. I have had my eye on this pattern since it was released and recently had the opportunity to sew the sample for the Indiesew shop. (Have you seen that Indiesew started carrying a few of the Closet Case paper patterns?) A lot of times when I sew samples for Indiesew I make the sample size to get a chance to work through the construction before I sew it for myself. This time around I was super excited to jump right in and make the Kalle tunic for ME!
Have you ever fallen in love with a fabric and absolutely had to have it, but then were unable to ever come up with a use for it? That is what happened to me with this Kaufman jacquard chambray. I love chambray and thought the design on the fabric was so cool. I had planned to use it for an Archer button up but when I went to cut it out I felt like it wasn’t right. So I let the fabric marinate in my stash for 2 years waiting for inspiration.
When the Kalle pattern was released I knew I wanted to try using my jacquard fabric for the tunic length top. I was a little bit fearful of the high cut on the side of the tunic, though, since it seemed like it would hit right above the widest part of my body and highlight my saddlebags. I hoped for the best and figured I could certainly shorten it to shirt length if it turned out to be unflattering.
I cut a size 10 and graded out to a size 14 at the hip area. My only modification was to make a 5/8″ forward shoulder adjustment. The construction was really smooth and I loved sewing this. I tried a new technique for getting sharp collar points (using this tutorial from the Closet Case blog) and it worked so incredibly well. I was always satisfied with my method of using my bone folder to try to push out the collar points as much as possible, but now I am converted to the thread pull method. All of my other hand made button downs are jealous of the collar on this one.
I’ve never been much of a leggings wearer outside of workout clothes, but I think they are my best bet with this tunic. It would also look great with skinny jeans, but I don’t have any that fit me very well. I have some black denim in my stash that is earmarked to become skinny Ginger jeans at some point in the next few months. I bet I will wear this tunic and those hypothetical jeans together, too. Since this tunic is pretty voluminous it pairs best with something slim on the bottom. And thankfully, all of that volume doesn’t seem to call attention to my wide lower hips after all!
My only regret with this tunic is that I didn’t get the placket pattern matched. It’s like origami constructing a popover placket and I forgot which part of the placket actually ends up front and center. I could have probably recut it to try again but I decided that it wasn’t a big enough deal for me to do that. Once again, it’s something that only a sewist would notice and it’s certainly not going to keep me from wearing and loving this tunic.
This pattern satisfies my love of shirt making with the proper collar/collar stand, but I also love that it comes together pretty quickly since it doesn’t involve all of the steps that go into making sleeves. I have the cropped version of the Kalle traced and ready to be sewn soon and I can’t wait to make the dress, too. But seeing that it’s already mid-October I know I’ll be making some shirts with actual sleeves soon enough!
Thanks for reading!