Hi Everbody! I am super behind on my blog reading, my blog comment responding, and my sewing! Thank goodness for Instagram keeping me connected to my fellow sewing people when I’m busy with the kids in the Summer. I finally got a little time to turn on the computer and do a few things since Caroline is asleep and my oldest son, Luke is off having fun with grandparents. I am excited to show you my newest dress, another Malvarosa from Pauline Alice Patterns.
I love my first Malvarosa, but I have never been happy with the way the cap sleeves look on me. I think I really needed a forward shoulder adjustment to get the curve of the sleeve more in line with my actual body. Unfortunately, I don’t think I knew that a forward shoulder adjustment existed when I made that dress. I wore that Malvarosa dress on the last day of Me Made May this year and remembered how much I like the style. I decided I wanted to try to modify the dress into a basic tank style, which I thought would be a lot more wearable.
I modified my pattern piece just based on folding the cap sleeve on my first dress and eyeballing the pattern piece to try to duplicate the armscye. I cut out the dress from some lightweight denim from Joann and then let it sit in a bag for 6 weeks. I finally got around to sewing it a couple of weeks ago. Instead of using facings for the neck and armscyes, as in the original pattern, I cut bias bindings from some Liberty of London scraps. I love knowing that there is something special inside this basic-from-the-outside dress.
I finished the dress and wore it once before deciding that the armscyes needed to be opened up a little bit more. They felt a little restrictive and I wanted to love this dress so I forced myself to unpick the bindings, open the armscyes by about 3/8″, and then re-sew it. The adjustment didn’t take too long and I’m so glad I did it right away instead of letting it fester unworn in my closet. I am really pleased with the fit now!
I did make one completely ridiculous error when I was modifying the pattern/cutting the fabric– I forgot to do a forward shoulder adjustment after I reshaped the armholes! (What?! Wasn’t that the whole point of remaking the dress, you big dope?? Yep, it was.) I didn’t realize it until it was far too late and there was no way to fix it without starting all over again. The dress fits fine, but it annoys me that the shoulder seam is sitting back behind the highest point of my shoulder. I am not sure how many drop waist dresses a person needs, but I have modified my pattern to include a forward shoulder adjustment should I make this dress again.
So other than that shoulder seam issue I love this dress and I think in this basic fabric I will be able to wear it year round. It’s great with sandals in the hot weather and I think I will look cute with a sweater and boots in the fall and winter. I’m really glad I got around to making another one, finally!