It is the last day of May! Another month has flown by! I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in my third Me Made May. My biggest revelation has been that the weather in Chicago is not reliably Spring-like until about the last week of the month. I was mostly frustrated in the earlier weeks that I couldn’t start wearing my warm weather dresses and skirts. I have plenty of me made clothes to get me through and my main wardrobe gap continues to be pants that aren’t joggers.
This month has been filled with pattern testing. I am not sure what I was thinking but I tested 5 new patterns and this one, the Parkside Shorts and Skirt has two views to sew. I know there are many differing opinions out there about pattern testing but I enjoy it here and there and there is nothing like a deadline to motivate me to get some sewing done. Last summer I was on a quest to find my perfect elastic waist pair of shorts so I was excited to get the chance to test this new pattern from Sew Caroline to see how it stacked up against what I made last year. (Both of these are my tester versions of the garments but I don’t think any changes were made to the pattern before it was released.)
The shorts are a loose fit and they worked great for my pear shape. My hip measurement falls between the sizing for the L and XL and I made the XL. They are roomy but not super baggy. The shorts have front slash pockets and a wide elastic waistband with two rows of topstitching, similar to the Hudson Pant pattern. I always like the look that the topstitching gives to the waistband– it just takes it up a notch and makes them look more professional.
I made two small changes to the pattern. I lengthened the shorts by 1.25″ and I did the pockets a little bit differently than the directions. The pockets are a double layer pocket which Caroline has you sew to the front leg of the shorts. I have never seen this before and I wasn’t sure how I would like it. I’ve done a single layer pocket topstitched to the front piece, but not a two piece pocket. I opted to keep the pockets free on the inside, which I like better.
On my next pair I want to experiment with taking some length out of the front rise. I get some poofing along the center front seam when I walk and I’m not totally sure how to fix that. I am hoping that tweaking the rise will help. Other than that I really like these shorts and I know I will wear them a ton this summer. (I am wearing them with an unblogged Lark tee made from Laguna Jersey. It’s the cap sleeved/crew neck version. I love this tee so much!) The shorts are a lightweight mystery denim from my stash.
The Parkside skirt is such a great, casual skirt. If the Hudson Pants turned into a skirt I think it would be this. (Now I think I need to make this skirt in a knit!) Again, I made an XL and I used some rayon from Gertie’s fabric line that I found at Joann fabrics. I love the black with tiny flowers.
As I did with the shorts, I lengthened the skirt by 1.25″. This time I did top stitch the whole pocket to the front of the skirt. I was curious how I would like it and it’s not bad, but I think next time I will skip that step. It just feels more natural to not have the pocket attached to the front of the garment and it’s one less seam to sew.
I didn’t get a picture of the back of the skirt, but it is cut in two pieces with a center back seam. There is no shaping on that seam so it could easily be cut on the fold.
So, I’m really glad I got to test this pattern because I got two great, new, easy to wear Summer garments out of the process. Since the release of the pattern Caroline has put some tutorials on her blog for adding a side split or welt pockets to the shorts or adding a skirt lining. I am looking forward to doing some of those variations when I revisit this pattern.