The subtitle to this post is, “My New Favorite Outfit!” Every time this outfit is clean I reach for it. These pieces definitely qualify as secret pajamas but I feel really put together when I wear them.
I had the pleasure of being a tester for Made By Rae’s newest pattern, the Luna Pants. Rae had been teasing these pants on her blog for a little while and I could not wait to be able to make my first pair. I had really high hopes for them because they looked like they had plenty of ease in the hips/thighs. I made this pair of Harem Pants earlier this year and they just don’t quite fit. I have worn them a decent amount, but they are too tight on my thighs when I do anything other than stand. I’ve been kicking around making a pair of woven Hudson pants, but I’m scared the same thing will happen.
I made a pair of muslin Luna pants for my first tester pair. I loved the fit, but found they were a little too long. I shortened this pair (which is still based off of the tester pattern) by an inch and I also lowered the rise by an inch. This pattern is designed to sit right at the natural waist, but I’ve gotten so used to the fit of the Hudson pants that I wanted them to be a little bit below my natural waist.
I also decided to cut between the size L and XL for this pair. My hips are 43.5, which is right in the size range for the XL. The fabric I used, Robert Kaufman Brussels Washer linen, is a linen/rayon blend, and from my experience I’ve found that linen tends to stretch/bag out a bit. I think the fit of these is perfect, but if I was using a fabric with a tighter weave I would probably stick with the size XL.
This pattern uses a waistband facing to create the casing for the elastic instead of folding over the top or sewing on a separate waistband. I have made so many pairs of elastic waist pants in my sewing career and this is the first time I’ve ever seen a casing constructed this way. I really like how using a facing maintains the contours of the waistband. It feels like a nice, professional detail on a quick sew pair of pants.
My shirt is the cropped view of the Linden sweatshirt with added cuffs and waistband. This fabric gave me all the heart eyes the minute I saw it. I could not resist the gray, black, and white floral. My serger gave me a huge amount of trouble when I was making this and the needles were making holes in the fabric. I was really close to tears– I expected this to be a simple palate cleanser project after making an Archer. I realized one of my serger settings had been changed when my son was “looking at the engine.” Once I got it fixed the construction was smooth sailing and I’ve forgiven it for being so difficult.
I love my super comfortable new outfit! I am anxious to make another pair of Luna pants but I have to figure out what what fabric to use next. I might need to ask Santa to bring me some of the double gauze Rae used for this pair. I love them so much!
If you’ve made it this far, you might be curious about these photos. I am not actually as tall as the Statue of Liberty. There is a car dealership very close to our house that has this statue in its lawn. I have always thought it would be a fun place to take photos and we stopped there on our way home from church to get these shots. I’m not sure I would have been brave enough to do it on a day the dealership was open!