A while back when Cotton + Steel first introduced their line of double gauze fabrics there were tons of photos of their quilt market booth on Instagram. I remember spotting a top in one of the photos and wondering what the pattern was. It was a simple short sleeved blouse with a shirt tail hem. I loved the shape of the hem and figured that I could possibly use my Scout tee pattern to make something similar.
Well, it wasn’t too long after that Rae posted this on her blog and I knew it had to be the same shirt. The back wasn’t visible in the Cotton + Steel booth photos, so it was a cool surprise to see that the shirt buttons up the back. She mentioned that she’d been working on the pattern for a while, so I tried to wait patiently for the pattern to be released. Then one day in April all of my dreams came true when I got an e-mail asking me if I’d like to help test the new pattern, called Beatrix.
If you’ve read my blog for a while you know that I love Rae’s patterns. (And my head almost exploded when Rae took note of how much I love her patterns!) Her women’s patterns fit me well and I wear them all the time. I loved being part of the testing group for this pattern. The team over at Made by Rae is very thorough and it was great to see the process that they go through to get a pattern ready to be released.
Beatrix has two views and I tested the 3/4 sleeve view that has banded sleeves and a banded bottom. My test version was just made out of muslin and (HOORAY!) it’s too big now. I like this view a lot and think that it would look really amazing in one of Anna Maria Horner’s new Loominous fabrics. I’ve got to put that on my sewing list for the fall! I made my first official Beatrix out of leftover fabric from my very first purchase of Liberty Tana Lawn. I had used part of the yardage previously for this Josephine top and I had just enough to squeak out the short sleeved view of Beatrix.
I cut between a medium and large for the upper body and graded out to x-large for the hips. I think it fits me perfectly! (My measurements are bust 36.5, hips 43.) The only thing I will change for next time is to do a forward shoulder adjustment of about 1/2″. I almost always have to do this and I knew I needed to based on my muslin, but then I forgot to adjust the pattern before I started cutting. (This top is made from the tester pattern. I know Rae made a few changes to the final pattern– raising the hem and adjusting the position of the darts. I made both of those changes to this version based on my first muslin, anyway, so it is probably pretty close to the actual pattern.)
It’s hard to see, but I used 6 navy blue buttons up the back of the shirt. I really wanted to use green buttons, but I couldn’t find any that were a good match. I was in too much of a hurry to wear the shirt, so I just went with what I had on hand. I am really excited to make another one of these for summer– maybe in the Cotton + Steel double gauze that I’ve got stashed away. This is another great pattern from Rae and I’d highly recommend it!