Hello Lovely Readers!
I was on a shopping trip to the Gap recently and I was struck by how much of their collection was blue and white. I have been thinking a lot lately about trying to make my handmade wardrobe more cohesive. I love all the prints and colors, but I like the idea of being able to mix and match to get more wear out of the things I sew.
After that shopping trip I decided this was going to be the summer of blue and white. (I may have decided that so I could justify buying this lovely blue and white voile.) When I saw Whitney Deal’s Mercer Tunic pattern pop up in the Indiesew shop I knew that it would be a perfect addition to my summer wardrobe.
This top reminds me of something that I would see in J Crew or Anthropologie. I love the button front placket and the light gathers in the front and back under the yoke. It was very easy to construct and looks lovely on the inside thanks to all of my French seaming. I veered off from the instructions a bit and used the burrito method to finish the yoke. I love how that simple method encloses all of the raw edges so easily. It feels like some sort of sewing magic trick.
I highly recommend the Mercer Tunic pattern. This is one that I know I will revisit in the future. I think it would be amazing in a rayon or linen!
I decided to whip up some rayon Pattern Emporium Harem pants to go with my tunic. This pattern is part of the Indiesew Summer Collection and I liked a lot of the different creations that I saw on the site. I thought that this would be a great lightweight outfit for summer. I am a little disappointed with the fit of the pants—I should have widened them a bit through the thighs. They are great when I’m standing up, but when I sit down I feel like I could use a little bit more room since the fabric is not stretchy at all. I would like to try them again with looser legs. I know I would wear them all the time if I get a better fit. These are definitely close to being secret pajamas!
I did a forward shoulder adjustment of half an inch. I shortened the top by 3.5 inches. I also moved the shoulder gathers in toward the neck a bit to avoid the fabric standing out at the shoulders. I cut a size M graded out to a L at the hips.
I lowered the rise by half an inch in the center back, ¾ of an inch at the side seams, and 1 inch in the center front. I also shortened the hem by an inch and a half.
p.s. As part of the Indiewsew blogger team I was provided with the Mercer Tunic pattern. All opinions are my own.