I did some more maternity sewing– this time I made True Bias’ Hudson Pant. I love my original pair but I was just a tiny bit pregnant when I made them and the elastic now cuts off my circulation. I seem to have gotten rid of all but two pairs of pajama/lounge/workout pants that fit me while pregnant so this was a definite gap in my maternity wardrobe.
I used some black interlock that I got at Joann Fabrics. It’s pretty stretchy but my previous pair was cotton/spandex, while this fabric is cotton/poly. Right off the bat I figured I should give myself a little more room to account for the difference in fabric (not to mention the difference in my size since making my first pair!) I hadn’t traced the pattern my first time around, I just cut the pattern to the size I was making. So this time I just added about half an inch to the outside seam allowance and hoped for the best. I also graded up in the waist. I kicked around using 3″ elastic for a little more belly support instead of 2″ but in the end I went with the 2″, which is what the pattern calls for.
Thankfully my modifications worked and with a longer piece of elastic in the waist I think they fit well. The fabric is really soft and comfortable and I’ve still got some room to grow. I’ve been wearing them a lot since I made them– this is really a great pattern and I can’t wait to make a woven pair after the baby comes.
I did make one other modification, which was to use a woven fabric instead of a knit for the pocket facing. I had seen a different blogger do this and thought it was a great idea. I wanted basic black pants, but I also wanted something that would keep them from being 100% black. I used a scrap of some black and white bird fabric (used here and here) to spice up the pockets a little bit. I cut the pocket facing piece on the bias so it would have some stretch. I love how it turned out! I also decided not to sew the channels on the waistband. I wanted to be able to shorten the elastic later (if I haven’t worn holes into these by the time the baby comes!) I did make the buttonholes on the center front of the waistband so I can add the drawstring later, too.
This is totally not related to sewing, but I made this carrot souffle recipe over the weekend and it was soooo good. I really wanted it to just be mediocre since it required me to dirty almost every dish in my kitchen but I thought it was delicious. It’s not something I’ll be making frequently (unless I can find a house elf to clean up after me!) but I’ll probably make it again for Thanksgiving or Christmas.