Oh my goodness, this is one of those projects that I almost gave up on halfway through. I found this pattern through Indiesew and I actually sewed the navy and purple sample that is on the website. This is a different style t-shirt than what I usually sew. The yoke is one piece that comes front to back and forms the overlapped v-neckline. I don’t have any v-neck t-shirts in my handmade wardrobe. After I finished the sample for Indiesew I decided I wanted to make one for myself.
I ordered some of the striped Riley Blake fabric and set to work as soon as it got to me. The sample I made for Indiesew was a size XS so I couldn’t use it to try for fit. For myself I cut a medium through the bust and graded out to an XL because at this point I knew I was pregnant and wanted to leave myself as much room as possible. I also added an inch to the length. I sewed everything but the hems and tried it on only to find that I had a lot of extra fabric bunching up in the underarm area. I posted a picture on Instagram and got some really good feedback about trying a sloping shoulder adjustment.
I found a tutorial for a sloping shoulder adjustment but I was a little baffled about how to make the changes to this pattern since there isn’t a shoulder seam. Instead of angling the shoulder seam down I ended up angling the bottom of the yoke upwards. I removed about an inch from the outer yoke edges on both the front and back and then lowered the curve of the armhole by the same amount. I also narrowed the yoke a bit because it seemed too wide. I had to unpick everything, serging and all to make the changes to the actual fabric. And then I had to go to Joann buy more of the interlock that I used for the yoke but was able to salvage the striped fabric. When I recut I did lose the extra inch of length, but that was better than having to start from scratch.
So all in all, this shirt that I thought would be made in one nap time ended up taking a few weeks to get finished. I needed to take a little time away from it before I had my husband take these photos and I’m glad I did. I really like how the shirt fits and I think it will look great with my gray Hudson pants. (I promise it’s not all crazy on my right side. I think it got stuck to my corduroy pants and just wasn’t laying right for the pictures.) I don’t know that I’ll get too much wear out of it in my current state– my belly is causing the front to be a little too short and I run the risk of showing off the band on the top of my maternity pants. I think it will go into heavier rotation next spring. Sometimes getting garments tailored to fit my specific body can be a huge pain but it’s really a good feeling when I end up with the fit I want. And now if I make this shirt again I am confident that I will be able to get it done in one nap time!
I had to share this last photo with my little photo-bomber Luke. He wanted to get in the action and I just love how he’s posed. He’s obviously seen a few too many blog photo shoots because right away he put his hand on his hip and gave that goofy fake smile.