Sewing

Thurlow Shorts and Laurel Top

My goal this summer was to sew some shorts and I finally got a pair that fits!  I started with the Colette Iris shorts and wasn’t able to get a good fit from either of the two pairs I made.  I still want to work on getting this pattern to work for me, but I decided to move on to the Sewaholic Thurlow pattern.  I had high hopes for this pattern since all of the Sewaholic patterns are created for the pear shaped figure.  I hadn’t ever sewn a fly front before and I hadn’t sewn welt pockets before so this was a more advanced pattern for me.

There is a great Thurlow sewalong on LLadybird.com and I referenced it pretty much every step of the way.  I made a muslin and ended up pinching out some excess from the front rise and also lengthening the back crotch curve a bit.  I made a size 12 and cut them to full length but didn’t cuff the bottom.  I also used my favorite pair of Gap shorts as a guide to slim the leg a bit.  I am happy with the fit of these shorts but I think next time I will add an inch to the length and lengthen the crotch curve just a bit more.

The welt pocket went pretty smoothly, but it took me about a month to get it done.  I stalled out on having to hand baste the welts closed so they would stay together when I sewed up the sides of the pocket.  Once I finally made myself do that part it took about 1 minute.  I don’t know why certain hand sewing tasks are so difficult for me to accomplish!  After I got one pocket done I decided to skip the second so that I might actually get to wear the shorts this summer.  I did fairly well on my first front fly zipper.  The right side is about a quarter inch higher than the left side.  I sort of fudged it when I sewed in the hook and eye so it looks level.  Next time I know I need to baste the zipper and make sure everything is even before doing the final sewing.  Here are some detail shots of the fly, the welt pocket, and the interior.

I used a black stretch cotton sateen from Joann Fabrics for the shorts.  The polka dot lining fabric is a quilting cotton from Joann Fabrics.  I like having some excitement on the inside of the shorts!

My shirt is the Colette Laurel top.  I made this top as a wearable muslin before I made my Laurel dress.  I drafted a Peter Pan collar and used piping around the edges to set the collar off from the rest of the top.  I have some issues with pulling in the upper bust area of this top, but not enough to keep me from wearing it.  I really like this top and want to get around to making another one at some point in the future!

~Teri

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Thurlow Shorts and Laurel Top

  1. Wow, super impressed with those shorts! Not only do they fit really well (no small feat with anything pants-like), but the pocket and fly look perfect too! I hear you on the hand-stitching. Unless it’s finishing on a garment (I do sew on buttons by hand), I tend to resist it (any kind of hand basting, especially). I’m also the same way about mending, I put it off and put it off and put it off and then it only takes five minutes and I’m like, what was my problem?

    Like

    1. I also sew buttons by hand– I should try to figure it out with my machine, but I haven’t felt motivated to do it yet. Mending anything is such a dread. I would rather make a completely new garment, which is so silly. I force myself to do it but I certainly don’t usually enjoy it.

      Like

  2. Congrats on conquering the fly-front zipper and welt pocket! Those are two techniques I really want to try myself, so I’m glad to hear you managed to figure them out. I also love the polka dots on the inside of the shorts – just for fun. 🙂

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s