I started cutting out my muslin for Tilly and the Buttons’ Mathilde Blouse a few months ago. I decided to try to make a wearable muslin out of an old bedsheet of ours. The fitted sheet had a hole but the top sheet was in fine shape. It’s a sateen with jacquard polka dots– the closest thing to a swiss dot (which is what I really wanted for this top) that I have in my stash. For some reason I got stalled in the cutting stage and never got the back pieces cut. Sewing Indie Month motivated me to get this going and I’m glad I did.
In the course of my Mathilde languishing on my sewing table, I saw this shirt from Anthropologie and thought it would be fun to try to make a version of it. The sleeves on Mathilde are very full, so I had to slim them down quite a bit. I ended up referencing the sleeves from my Colette Laurel pattern to get the fit how I wanted. I cut a size 5 for the back pieces and between a 4 and a 5 for the front. It turns out a size 4 would have probably been fine because I ended up taking in the side seams.
I cut the shirt pieces about 5 inches shorter than the pattern called for and then made 2 long rectangles for the flouncy hem. I think they ended up being about 1.5x the width of the shirt by about 6.5 inches long. I gathered them and sewed them to the bottom. Because I can pull the top on over my head the button placket on the back is sewed closed by the flounce. I toyed with using 2 separate pieces on the back so the shirt would open all the way to the hem, but decided to take the easy way out. I did sew button holes that are functional for the back but I’m sure I won’t actually use them.
Drop-waisted shirts and dresses are very trendy right now and I’m glad my Mathilde hack worked out. The fabric was slippery and not the easiest to sew with (or photograph.) It was also very prone to fraying. I may try this again in a different fabric, like a rayon challis or maybe swiss dot if I can get my hands on some!