This year I am excited to take part in the Spring Top Sewalong! I have admired the tops that were created in previous years but I haven’t participated before. I have a few tops that I want to make but I was inspired by this photo of Cori Robinson (the designer of these beautiful clothes) that she posted recently on Instagram. I had some black and white polka dotted fabric in my stash and I’ve been trying to figure out what to make with it. Initially I wanted to make a Colette Laurel dress, but I didn’t have enough fabric. When I saw Cori’s photo I settled on trying to make some sort of version of her top. I could tell there was some cute detail around the neck but that’s about all I had to go on.
I decided to go with the Josephine pattern since I love my first so much. I was going to make the sleeveless version, but as I had enough fabric I decided to try out short sleeves. I knew I wanted a tie at the neck so I grabbed my Washi expansion pack and used the small ties from that pattern. I attached them in the same method that Rae did on this Washi top (using the directions from the Washi expansion pack.) I drafted my own facing pieces since Josephine has a different neckline than the Washi top.
I cut the same size in this top as I did in my yellow voile version, a medium graded out to a large in the hips. I didn’t use the elastic casing on the back of this one and without the cinching it ended up being too boxy. I took in the side seams back to a straight size medium and it’s perfect. I also used french seams throughout. (Even on the sleeves!) The inside looks so nice and clean I could almost wear it inside out! French seams totally save the day when I am too lazy to change the thread color on my serger.
The modifications I made to the pattern were really easy and I absolutely love the result. The fabric had been in my stash forever. It’s quilting cotton so I was a little unsure how it would do– especially since this is not one of those nice light quilting cottons with a bit of drape. This stuff is pretty stiff. I think it turned out great, though. (Of course if I find a polka dotted voile or rayon challis I’d love to give it a try with that, too!)