Hello! I am so excited to finally get started on my first blog. I have been wanting to start one since I really got into garment sewing. I have so many projects that I want to put on the blog, but I am starting with my most recent make. This is the Deer and Doe Pavot jacket. I am really happy with how it turned out. I got the pattern for Christmas and have been sitting on it for a few months because here in the Polar Vortex we have been wearing nothing but giant parkas, hats, scarves, boots, etc. It is still not warm enough for a light weight jacket, but I wanted to be ready when Spring finally hits!
I made the jacket out of an Amy Butler home decorator weight fabric that I’ve had in my stash forever. I think I originally bought this fabric to make into a dress. I look back now and laugh because it is way too heavy for a dress. But thank goodness I didn’t know what I was doing 8 years ago because the fabric was perfect for this jacket.
My only experience with Deer and Doe patterns to this point was the free Plantain tee. I made a muslin of the bodice of the jacket and decided that I needed a bit of a small bust adjustment. I had never attempted this before and found this tutorial for how to adjust a bodice with princess seams. It was really easy and now I’m happy with the fit.
The jacket is unlined and I finished my seams with my serger. The pattern actually has you finish the edges before sewing the pieces together, which is not how I usually do it. I didn’t love doing this at first because it seemed like it took forever, but once I finished that step the jacket came together really quickly. I think on my next one I will finish the seams with bias tape to give it a more polished interior.
Thanks for reading! I’m looking forward to sharing more soon.